Tuesday 19 November 2013

I'd Appreciate Your Input 1: WWE's Call-ups vs Outside Talent

I thought I'd do something a little different and (try to) get some discussion on this...

For some reason, after seeing Xavier Woods debut on Raw last night, I started to think about the call-ups that WWE have made from NXT - their developmental show. For me, Woods wouldn't have been my first choice to promote from that show as there are masses of talent ahead of him that deserve a shot on the main roster, but I digress...

The difference that I've noticed in the last year, maybe starting with The Shield's first appearance, is that, unlike years ago, debutants nowadays aren't going to be catapulted to the main event scene straight away. I understand that things have drastically changed - i.e no real competition outside of the WWE to cherry pick from...

Let me give a little background on my thoughts here: In 1999, Chris Jericho debuted on Raw in an epic segment with The Rock. Jericho was a name that had been places and was well respected in wrestling - he was a major coup. Then, in 2000, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko jumped ship from WCW to WWE, instantly populating the upper ranks of the card as soon as they appeared on TV. These are just some examples of WWE bringing in established guys from OUTSIDE of their own ranks. Very rarely did they have to start at the bottom and work their way up.

I suppose from about 2002, WWE would find their future megastars in John Cena, Randy Orton, Batista and Brock Lesnar in an OVW developmental system that they had at the time. From what I understand, NXT is different to OVW in that OVW was a wrestling promotion that was a 'farm' for up-and-comers; NXT is a WWE-owned, WWE-run developmental promotion.

In the last year, The Shield debuted at the Survivor Series last year and have stayed at, kind of, mid-card-to-henchmen-to-main-eventers level since. They all have potential individually but I think it's a long time until we see it. Big E Langston was brought in as Dolph Ziggler and AJ's 'heavy' and is only just getting some momentum with his first singles title win. The Wyatts have come in and gained a first 'big' scalp in Kane and have a similar spot to The Shield. Antonio Cesaro came in and instantly became US Champion but has since been relegated to the tag team division (for now). No one has really been promoted/debuted and stayed at the top - a la Kane in 1997.

What I'd like to know is:
  • Do you think that WWE will ever get 'big names' in from outside of their own ranks again?
  • Do they need to? Does it go against their 'best for business' model?
  • Will an NXT-er ever get onto the main roster as an instant main event talent (i.e will they be introduced as a big player straight away) or are the days of that over?
  • What are your thoughts of NXT guys having to earn their stripes when they make the main roster? Although they should (to gain experience) is it a little boring that no one will get pushed to the stars on debuting?
Please give me feedback via the comments field below or tweet me - @jimmosangle

I look forward to hearing everyone's take on this

@jimmosangle

No comments:

Post a Comment