Thursday 4 April 2013

WWE 'Invades' NXT: Why?

As I wait for this weeks (4/4) NXT to download, I thought I'd give my view on last weeks abomination of a show. By that I mean it was the complete opposite of what I expect from watching NXT on a weekly basis.

In the last few months, I have started to watch more and more wrestling; most notably the offerings that the WWE give us - Raw, Smackdown, Main Event and NXT. The latter is a show that I found hard to get into to start with as I wasn't too familiar with the roster. As the weeks have gone on it has slowly crept up the list of 'favourites' that I have. This is probably due to it being something fresh and new - it is the breeding ground for future WWE stars. By watching it each week, I'd like to think I can spot the 'next big thing' that is in development. It excites me that I get to see that unfold.

It is also a welcome break away from the crap that is presented to us on the main shows - Raw and Smackdown. For a long time now, we have been fed sloppy, unimaginative feuds and matches, with the occasional five-star match/promo happening every blue moon - Cena vs Punk from a few weeks ago on Raw.

Therefore, NXT is something that I have enjoyed watching as I can turn off my anger and stop shaking my head at god-awful 'filler' segments. Last weeks NXT had me fuming, though...

It started with The Fink announcing. Ok, that's different for starters... why is he there? This was followed by a Diva's Championship match between Kaitlyn (c) and Natalya. This was a great little match as far as Divas bouts go, but why was it on NXT? Why am I to believe that this title will switch on a 'lesser' show such as NXT? Why aren't these two battling it out for the title on Raw/Smackdown/Pay-Per-View??

I was baffled further as the show went on; World Champion Alberto Del Rio had a backstage interview; Brodus Clay defeated El Local (Rodriguez); and the main event was Randy Orton defeating Damien Sandow. About the only NXT guy that I remembered seeing was Kassius Ohno, who attacked William Regal - luckily, Jim Ross was already on commentary so that there was still a two-man commentary team for the rest of the show. What was he even doing there??

This was an awful use of this TV show; and I don't care if it is Wrestlemania season - there is absolutely no reason why the WWE main roster should take over all of NXT. They have SEVEN hours of TV time on their own shows to showcase WWE talent. If they need to show more of the main roster, how about they have main roster guys against NXT guys - surely this gives the WWE guys even more exposure (like they need it!) and it also gives them particular NXT guys a rub against the best.

I've said before that I don't mind the main WWE roster being on NXT but it should be ONE guy making a special appearance every once in a while; maybe getting into a verbal confrontation, or maybe even a match, with a young up-and-comer? That would be good for the NXT guy and for the WWE talent. This situation kind of reminds me of the WWE as a whole just lately: the main show being taken over by part-timers and not benefiting the youngsters trying to make a name for themselves.

If I want to see Randy Orton getting ANOTHER win over the likes of Damien Sandow I'll watch Raw or Smackdown, thanks!

Anyway, I'm going to watch the latest episode of NXT in the hope that normality has been restored...

@jimmosangle

No comments:

Post a Comment